Just wanted to share how it is done.
DISCLAIMER: Please use the info below at your own risk with no warranty of any kind.
A) INSTALLING xRecovery
WHAT YOU NEED: <download>
SuperOneClick,xRecovery 0.1,astro filemanager,root explorer
Note: There are 3 versions of xRecovery (xRecovery v0.1 for Xperia X8, xRecovery v0.2 and xRecovery v0.3 for Xperia X10) but only xRecovery v0.1 will work on the Xperia X8. These xRecovery files are developed specific to a type of android phone not upgrades/updates.
HOW IT IS DONE:
Step 1: Root your Xperia X8
- download and unzip SuperOneClickv1.9.1-ShortFuse to PC Desktop
- connect Xperia X8 to PC (Do not mount)
- on your phone <goto><setting><applications> select <unknown sources>
- on your phone <goto><settings><applications><development> select <usb debugging>
- Launch SuperOneClick -> click <Root>
- you will see - <not successful - is your phone software higher than 2.0?>
- click <yes> and then <success> & <test su> message
- Reboot Xperia X8
If SuperOneClick is running but hangs mid-process you need to install .NET Framework v2.0 or above. DO NOT ASSUME you are running Windows 7 it has .NET Framework installed.
If you are successful in ROOTING your phone - SuperUser app will be installed to your Xperia X8.
If you are not successful:-
(a) check your PC <devices><usb> to see if your phone is recognized by your PC (troubleshoot PC driver problem)
(b) <usb debugging> in your Xperia X8 phone settings enabled?
Then <Launch> <SuperOneClick> and try again.
[if you don't have a file manager on your phone]
Install <Astro File Manager> from Android Market
Step 2: Mount Xperia X8 (to access SD Card)
- copy <Root.Explorer.v2.16.apk> to root of SD Card
- using PC create folder <xRecovery> and unzip xRecovery0.1.rar
- put the 3 files into the xRecovery folder you've created
- copy the xRecovery folder to root of SD Card
Step 3: UnMount Xperia X8 from PC
Step 4: Launch <Astro> Install <Root Explorer v2.16.apk>
Step 5: Copy xRecovery files to </system/bin> of your phone
- Launch <Root Explorer>
- scroll down to /sdcard <click to access>
- scroll down to xRecovery folder <click to access>
- Select each of the 3 files (one by one) <click & hold><copy>
- <click> parent folder (twice)
- scroll down to <click to access><system>
- <click to access><bin> and <click><Mount R/W>
- press <paste> button
COPY ALL THE 3 FILES (one by one) FROM xRecovery Folder to </system/bin> folder
(i.e. busybox, chargemon and xrecovery.tar)
Once you have done that... you have installed xRecovery to your Xperia X8
SHUTDOWN -> Wait 5 seconds and REBOOT
When you see the words [Sony Ericsson] on the phone screen - start pressing the back button on your phone multiple times and you will enter the xRecovery Menu.
Select Buttons = Volume Up & Volume Down Buttons
Enter Button = Home Button
Back Button = Back Button
To BACKUP your Xpedia X8's current ROM
select <backup and restore><backup> from the menu
This will create a backup file in your SD Card <SD/xRecovery/backup>
Note: Typically the backup should be around 256MB in size, so you may want to copy the file to your PC to lighten your 2GB SD Card.
To RESTORE from a backup of your current ROM
select <backup and restore><restore> from menu & select the <file_name>
Note: If you have a backup on PC just copy it to <SD/xRecovery/backup> and restore as usual.
To install a Custom ROM (e.g. GINGERBREAD 2.3.3 CM7 for Xpedia X8)
Just download it from the xda-developers.com website and copy to SD Card
reboot and use xRecovery to <restore> the Custom ROM to your Xperia X8.